The first building was, at one time, shared temporarily with the Ocilla Baptists. Their church constituted approximately one year after the organization of the Ocilla Methodist Church, and until they could build a place of worship of their own in 1899, Sunday services were alternated between the two denominations. Both Baptist and Methodist attended all services. This was mutually helpful to both faiths since neither of the two could afford a full-time minister. The Methodist Church was also used by both denominations for church school services.
By the year 1912 the original church building could no longer adequately meet the needs of its members. Therefore, the congregation decided to sell it and build a new and larger house of worship. The original church still stands and is still being used.
In 1912, while the Rev. B. S. Sentell was serving the Ocilla Charge, the present brick structure was erected and occupied. It is located on the corner of Fourth and Beech Streets. This beautiful brick and granite structure was built under the able leadership of Mr. Melvin Paulk.
In 1950 construction was begun on an annex, including a large recreational-assembly hall, a kitchen, a chapel and a number of Sunday School classrooms. The total cost of the annex and equipment was $35,000. In 1951, after the completion of this addition, the entire church plant was conservatively valued at $80,000. Under the able leadership of the Rev. Tom A. Whiting, who came to Ocilla as pastor in 1949, funds were collected and the building was paid for in full at the time of its dedication in November 1950. Bishop Arthur J. Moore dedicated the building.
Extensive repairs and remodeling of the sanctuary of he educational buildings were begun in the summer of 1980 at a cost of some $23,500.
Project Facelift was begun in the fall of 2015 and included painting throughout the building, new flooring, and an extensive remodel of the kitchen and fellowship hall.
“Like a mighty army moves the Church of God," say the words of a well-loved hymn. So may the Ocilla United Methodist Church move forward in its mission for Christ, ever widening our horizons of service and becoming more deeply aware of the heritage and challenge which is ours. For only in this manner can our church continue to write its history in deeper and more meaning terms through its children and the generations that follow.
- << Prev